My recollections growing up are...
* Fasting over the 40 days in Lent (mainly chocolate or giving up sweets!)
* Making crosses out of palm tree leaves on Palm Sunday
* Good Friday reenactment of the Crucifixion (click here for lots of images) - I will never forget the sight of women walking barefoot with a look of utter desolation
* Watching my mum bake & cook a lot (recipe's & picture to follow...)
* Chocolate... especially the mini Suchard Chocolate eggs in a tube (I searched the internet and could not find a picture of them... boo hoo)
* AND family time. Lots of friends & family sharing good food & company.
In England, all around I see a LOT of chocolate for sale, although at my children's school they did go to Church for a service the day before they broke up for school. And they had a Easter themed competition for best use of materials, best cake, most religious, and best Easter garden ...
|My daughter made a Simnel cake all by herself - I was very proud!|
|Some of the entries.|
So, I decided to share the recipe's here and show you the goodies!
This recipe was handed down to me by my mother, who learnt it from my grandmother, who learnt it from... (you get the picture)
This one was made by my niece!
Find the recipe HERE - my last Easter post!
Choose a cup & fill with sugar, then refill the same amount with vegetable oil. Add self raising flour until you form a firm dough. Break off pieces, roll them up, then dip in sesame seeds, and place on a baking tray.
Bake for approx. 5-10 mins until golden, 200 degrees C
First time I have tried this... until I taste it tomorrow the jury is out!
HERE is an online recipe via Mama Lotties - an online Gibraltar Recipe Website!
Salmon, Spinach & Ricotta Lasagne.
Since I rarely get comments... here is an incentive to chat. If I get more than 10 comments I will share the recipe)
So, that's it FOLKS... have a very HAPPY EASTER tomorrow & try not to get sick eating too much chocolate!
|My daughter's second Simnel cake - the first one had to be sampled & devoured two weeks ago!|
Vanessa :) xx