Saturday 19 April 2014

Happy Easter

Since I have lived away from Gibraltar for nearly 20 years (I know... shocking) Easter has lost some of its religious significance. When I was growing up (did I ever? HA) in Gibraltar, the Easter period was massive since most of the population is Catholic.

My recollections growing up are...

* Fasting over the 40 days in Lent (mainly chocolate or giving up sweets!)

* Making crosses out of palm tree leaves on Palm Sunday

* Good Friday reenactment of the Crucifixion (click here for lots of images) - I will never forget the sight of women walking barefoot with a look of utter desolation

* Watching my mum bake & cook a lot (recipe's & picture to follow...)

* Chocolate... especially the mini Suchard Chocolate eggs in a tube (I searched the internet and could not find a picture of them... boo hoo)

* AND family time. Lots of friends & family sharing good food & company.

In England, all around I see a LOT of chocolate for sale, although at my children's school they did go to Church for a service the day before they broke up for school. And they had a Easter themed competition for best use of materials, best cake, most religious, and best Easter garden ...

My daughter made a Simnel cake all by herself - I was very proud!

Some of the entries.
This year I decided to try and adopt some of recipe's handed down to me and have been busy baking with my niece and two daughters.

So, I decided to share the recipe's here and show you the goodies!

Bollos de Hornazo (Easter Bread)

This recipe was handed down to me by my mother, who learnt it from my grandmother, who learnt it from... (you get the picture)

This one was made by my niece!

Find the recipe HERE - my last Easter post!

Mantecados (Spanish Crumble cakes!)

Choose a cup & fill with sugar, then refill the same amount with vegetable oil. Add self raising flour until you form a firm dough. Break off pieces, roll them up, then dip in sesame seeds, and place on a baking tray.

Bake for approx. 5-10 mins until golden, 200 degrees C

Torta de acerga (Spinach Pie)

First time I have tried this... until I taste it tomorrow the jury is out!

HERE is an online recipe via Mama Lotties - an online Gibraltar Recipe Website!

I also made up a new dish this week!

Salmon, Spinach & Ricotta Lasagne.


Since I rarely get comments... here is an incentive to chat. If I get more than 10 comments I will share the recipe)

So, that's it FOLKS... have a very HAPPY EASTER tomorrow & try not to get sick eating too much chocolate!
My daughter's second Simnel cake - the first one had to be sampled & devoured two weeks ago!
All the best,
Vanessa :) xx

1 comment:

  1. Oh yum, some of these things look gorgeous! You are such a talent, Vanessa - cooking like this is a real art! Sadly, I'm not much of a foodie, so am very unlikely to make anything similar, but I grew up in a catholic family, so all your Easter memories are familiar to me too. xx

    ReplyDelete