Saturday 15 June 2013

The reason for my being so busy...

I find it hard to believe what I have managed to do over the past month... Unfortunately (before some of you ask), I have not finished my Trilogy. BUT, I have managed to get ready TWO short story compilations...

All details are on my latest blog for children - www.kids4books.blogspot.com

The first, READING IS MAGIC, was published last week... and is in aid of the NSPCC. I have got to know some more lovely, new authors. For some of them, it is the first time they have had work published and I really hope they are pleased to have been a part of this.

I am particularly pleased with this cover (especially since my son is sitting in it!). It was probably the hottest day of the year so far, and the sea water was lukewarm - I couldn't believe it! I took the photo on my phone, and used it to create the cover (not bad, huh...)

I have to add that my son is honoured to be on the cover too... fame & fortune await! HA!

The second, GURNARD'S BOOK OF DELIGHTS, is published as an eBook (paperback to be finalised in the next few days). This collection is in aid of my children's Primary School.

It came about after I ran a literary competition at the school. The funny thing was it all started from my buying a book off an author I knew online. I was so impressed I bought some for my school, and then decided to present them to the school, then thought Oooo... I could run a competition... and then... yep, the collection! Some day I'll learn to just focus on one thing!

Truth, I am exhausted... but proud of what I have done! And I hope both raise some lovely cash for both causes.

I hope that now I can get my head back into my Trilogy!

BUT, I do have some exciting news...

I am going to be at the Ardingly Festival on the 24th June... courtesy of Daisy White and her POP UP INDIE BOOKSHOP details here - http://www.ardingly.com/Ardingly-Arts-Festival/

Even Dame Judy Dench is going to be there... Eek!

My slot is at 4:30 PM!

To get involved as an author on future POP UPS... contact Daisy White:

I have no idea how it'll go... but I had to give it a go! whatever happens it'll be a fun day out!
I am also going to be interviewed by Lydia Aswolf on Saturday 22nd June on her BlogRadio station... this is in the US!!!
Again, fingers crossed it'll go okay - either way I'll have a good chat!
Lydia recently read my book and blew me away with an excellent Goodreads review:
"You know that habit...the one where you think you know where things are going in the book you're reading? Check such expectations at the door. Vanessa Wester isn't going concede to any expectations on behalf of her readers with her debut novel, HYBRID. No, she blows them to smithereens with real skill and panache. Solid, sympathetic characters, a breathtakingly fresh premise, and a pace that resulted in me finishing the book and immediately grabbing COMPLICATIONS, the next book in this series. I look forward to more from this talented author...and I've put my money where my mouth is to that effect."
Anyway, after all of this I hope to finish my Trilogy before school breaks up for the summer (fingers crossed).
Thank you again to all of you who constantly encourage me!
Vanessa :) xx

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, Vanessa, you have been a busy bee! I do admire your enterprise and what you have done for children's reading too. That's fantastic! And congratulations on the radio spot and festival. By the way, are you contributing to the Skelat.com book as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, and I hope you do really well everywhere! x

    ReplyDelete